Windows 7 users have been reporting that they are receiving a popup message that reads “You don’t have permission to shut down this computer” every time they attempt to shutdown or reboot their systems.
The fix has been confirmed to work by numerous users and goes like this:
- Press Windows+R to open the Run window.
- Type gpedit.msc and press Enter.
- In the Group Policy Editor window go to: Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options.
- In the right panel of the Security Options option,search and double-click on “User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode.”
- In the new window, select Enable.
- Reopen the Run window, but this time type “gpupdate /force” and press Enter. This will update all group policies.
- Restart or shut down your system normally.
Windows 7 reached official end of life (EOL) on January 14, 2020 and is not scheduled to receive new fixes.